- What are truffles?
- How much do truffles cost?
- What innovations are made in this story?
- Why were they made?
- What are the benefits of change?
In Italy, for centuries pigs have been used to unearth valuable truffles. But the pigs often ate the truffles. So now local experts use trianed dogs. At HSBC, we use local experts to unearth valuable investment opportunites from around the world. Hsbce World Selection investment portfolios.
Application: Flexibility in Outlook; Mashups; Metaphors in Business
Prepare: watch again
Characters: Write a one-word description for each of these characters.
- Mr. Gardener; Mrs. Gardener; Carl; Jack
adapt: to make fit (as for a new use) often by modificationmashup or blend (also mesh,mash up and mash-up) is a song or composition created by blending two or more pre-recorded songs, usually by overlaying the vocal track of one song seamlessly over the instrumental track of another. (Wikipedia) (See also sampling and sequencing.)
modify: : to make basic or fundamental changes in often to give a new orientation to or to serve a new end .
synthesis: the combining of often diverse conceptions into a coherent whole; also: the complex so formed (source: merriam-webster.com/dictionary)
Mashups in music have been a form of technical collaboration for a long time. Basically, it is taking one piece of music and meshing it over another to make a new piece of music. Some of the most creative pieces are when an artist takes a classical piece of music that is several hundred years old and uses it as a melody base for a hip-hop dance track. Some good examples are:
- Air on a G String composed by Bach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDBGnpInQWQ
- Sweetbox: Everything going to be alright. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNyjkRlgO5s
- Pachelbel Canon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Af372EQLck Pachelbel Canon in D w/ hip hop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oex4S3vPKR4 Pachelbel’s Canon. . . on a Cell Phone?!?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmG34QB07Bc&feature=fvst
EXTRA POINTS for students who bring their favorite mashups and introduce them to their classmates and/or the teacher. Especially an old Japanese song with a new twist.
Questions for discussion and reflection
- Why are the above concepts important to business?
- How can adaptation or synthesis of the old be just as important as invention of a completely original concept?
- Can you give some examples of new ideas or inventions that are based on old concepts?
- What does “different points of view ” mean to you?
- What are the “different points of view” of each character in the story?
- Why are “different points of view” necessary for the strength of a company or an organization?
- What is the difference between counterfeit and creativity?
- What is the difference between invention and innovation?
- What do you think companies need most?
- Discuss your ideas and thoughts.