Application: Flexibility in Outlook; Mashups; Metaphors in Business
Prepare: watch again
Characters: Write a one-word description for each of these characters.
- Mr. Gardener; Mrs. Gardener; Carl; Jack
adapt: to make fit (as for a new use) often by modificationmashup or blend (also mesh,mash up and mash-up) is a song or composition created by blending two or more pre-recorded songs, usually by overlaying the vocal track of one song seamlessly over the instrumental track of another. (Wikipedia) (See also sampling and sequencing.)
modify: : to make basic or fundamental changes in often to give a new orientation to or to serve a new end .
synthesis: the combining of often diverse conceptions into a coherent whole; also: the complex so formed (source: merriam-webster.com/dictionary)
Mashups in music have been a form of technical collaboration for a long time. Basically, it is taking one piece of music and meshing it over another to make a new piece of music. Some of the most creative pieces are when an artist takes a classical piece of music that is several hundred years old and uses it as a melody base for a hip-hop dance track. Some good examples are:
- Air on a G String composed by Bach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDBGnpInQWQ
- Sweetbox: Everything going to be alright. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNyjkRlgO5s
- Pachelbel Canon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Af372EQLck Pachelbel Canon in D w/ hip hop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oex4S3vPKR4 Pachelbel’s Canon. . . on a Cell Phone?!?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmG34QB07Bc&feature=fvst
EXTRA POINTS for students who bring their favorite mashups and introduce them to their classmates and/or the teacher. Especially an old Japanese song with a new twist.
Questions for discussion and reflection
- Why are the above concepts important to business?
- How can adaptation or synthesis of the old be just as important as invention of a completely original concept?
- Can you give some examples of new ideas or inventions that are based on old concepts?
- What does “different points of view ” mean to you?
- What are the “different points of view” of each character in the story?
- Why are “different points of view” necessary for the strength of a company or an organization?
- What is the difference between counterfeit and creativity?
- What is the difference between invention and innovation?
- What do you think companies need most?
- Discuss your ideas and thoughts.