Instructions: 1) Shoko, please write the short story part; Group 1, answer questions 1-5; & Group 2, 6-10. Please post your answers as usual and respond to at least one other student’s post.
A) Writing/summarizing: Now write a short story (only 85 words) describing the life and career of Mr. Omar. Use the facts you see in the commercial but don’t be afraid to add your own details. Here is how you might start . . . Mr. Omar was a taxi driver in the poor slums of Cairo, Egypt. One day he . . .
B) Questions for discussion, reflection, and journal.
- When did Mr. Omar see a career opportunity?
- Why did he take such a challenge? What is the entrepreneurial spirit?
- What is your definition of “soft skills”?
- What soft skills maked Mr. Omar successful?
- What does this line mean “having the courage to follow your dreams”? Do you think it takes courage to follow your dreams?
- What other personality traits and characteristics does it take to succeed in business?
- What were the steps Omar needed to move from taxi driver to tour guide?
- A couple of years ago there was a political revolution in Egypt. What do you know about this country and its economy?
- At the beginning of the commercial there is no speaking. What do the background noises indicate?
- What kind of music is used? How does this add to the commercial and sense of narrative?