WEEK 003: TAKING THE INITIATIVE (for April 25)
Application: Family Responsibility, Independence, Following Your Dream, Initiative
initiative (v) the ability to decide and act on your own without waiting for somebody to tell you what to do.
(n) a new plan for dealing with a particular problem or for achieving a particular purpose.
the initiative the power or opportunity to act and gain an advantage before other people do.
pawn: (v) to leave an object with a pawnbroker in exchange for money.
A) Prepare: watch again
Using the link above watch the one-minute-forty-five second commercial again. Take notes of all the different elements, watching it several times if necessary.
Isam: Lets call the young artist Isam (a name that means self-made success).
Art Gallery Director
Real Estate Agent
C) Transcript dictation
Write down all the words you hear in this commercial. Hint: there are four sentences and only thirty-five words.
D) Discussion Questions
Where is Isam from: country; city?
What do you think is Isam’s first job?
Who’s the owner of the company?
Why does he leave the company?
What happens next in the story?
How does he live as an artist?
How does he get money to survive?
Why does he refuse his fathers financial help?
Can you identify with his spirit?
Do you know any young artists with such an independent spirit?
Why is it important for an artist to feel that his/her work is original?
Why is this commercial titled Family Business?
E) Culture Point: Gestures and body language
From this all male cast of characters, 1) list all of the gestures and types of body language used in these scenes. 2) Can you classify them into types?
Example: Isam and his father hug in the first scene. This is a gesture of intimacy and farewell because Isam is leaving his father’s company. What types of gestures are you accustom to if you were in this situation?
1) Write a short story line using the verbs listed below with your own words.
2) In each sentence write one adjective that describes how Isam is feeling (the emotion Isam is experiencing in that moment, in that scene). To keep it simple, the subject of each sentence should be one of the following people a) Isam, b) the art director, (manager of the art gallery), or c) the real estate agent or d) the father.
quits; leases; rents; cleans; sweeps; starts; talks (with); sells; shakes; signs; sets (up); paints; builds; meets (with); looks (at); leaves; tries to give; meets greets; smiles; waves;
Isam quits his job at his fathers trading company.
Isam is feeling excited but maybe also a little worried.
G) Final Application
1) When does Isam take the initiative in this story (specifically, at least twice)?
2) The word initiative starts with the letter “i”. How many more “i”s are in the word initiative? Do you think this is significant?
3) What does it mean “But having the courage to follow your dreams is just the beginning.”?
4) Would you agree that initiative takes courage, independence, confidence, and motivation? Please comment on the importance of these four ingredients of initiative.
5) Do you think that initiative can be taught in a class?
6) How can you develop initiative for your future success? Be specific.